In order to get more enjoyment out of life we need to take ourselves less seriously and laugh at ourselves more often. Life is challenging at times, there is no doubt about that. But, as we learn to lighten up and laugh more, those challenging times can become more tolerable.
While there are those more serious calamities that are clearly sad and tragic, most events in life don’t carry an overwhelming sense of either sadness or delight. They fall into the gray zone of ordinary life, giving you the choice to laugh and bring color to the gray.
Here are five techniques that can help you see the lighter side of life:
1) Attempt to laugh at situations rather than bemoan them. Look for the humor in a bad situation, and uncover the irony and absurdity of life. This will not only improve your mood and but will also lift those around you.
2) Surround yourself with reminders to lighten up. Keep a child’s toy on your desk or in your car. Put up a funny poster in your office. Choose a computer screensaver that makes you laugh. Frame photos of you and your family or friends having fun.
3) Keep things in perspective. Many things in life are beyond our control—particularly the behavior of other people. While you might think taking the weight of the world on your shoulders is admirable, in the long run it’s unrealistic, unproductive, and unhealthy.
4) Laugh at yourself. Share your embarrassing moments. The best way to take yourself less seriously is to talk about times when you took yourself too seriously…and laugh about it!
5) Pay attention to children and learn from them. They are the experts on playing and taking life lightly. There is much in them for us adults to emulate.
Humor is a magical thing. It takes you to a higher place where you can view the world from a more relaxed and balanced perspective. As laughter, humor, and play become a more integrated part of your life, you will find that your health will improve, your passion will elevate, your creativity will flourish, and your memories will be sweeter. May we all laugh often!
7/24/2015 07:29:30 am
Needed this reminder about the importance of daily laughter. So easy to get caught up in the rat race and forget to look for the brighter, lighter side of laugh. Thanks for the reminder John.
Leave a Reply.
John's passion is in helping people get unstuck so they can experience their true potential. Before starting his own practice he spent 16 years coaching, consulting, and presenting to Fortune 500 companies, teams, and individuals on how to breakthrough their barriers and magnify their talents.